Re: Flap connectors

Subject: Re: Flap connectors
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 16:42:22
I agree with the structural consideration re needing a rib, but I'd
like
to add an observation on lateral stiffness.  There are still 5
remaining
hinges that will flex easily, so stiffening one (via double plates and
Tufnol block) has a finite effect.

This all points out the importance of adhering to all the measurements
and gaps called for.  Seems to me that, whatever aerodynamic loads can
push the flap outboard, it better strike wing structure (and not foul
the aileron) and still have sufficient pin engagement.  IOW, do not
rely
on lateral stiffness.

Regards,
Fred Fillinger, A063, N3EU