Re: Replacing Aileron/Trim tab hinges

Subject: Re: Replacing Aileron/Trim tab hinges
From: Dave DeFord <davedeford@home.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 00:06:34
> Also, any hints on
> how to ensure the holes in the new hinges for the rivets and screws line
> up with those left in the wing/aileron and tailplane/trim tab.

When I had to replace a hinge, I made up a drill jig to align the rivet
holes as follows.  Remove the mandrel from a pop rivet of the appropriate
size, grinding the rounded end opposite the head to make it square to the
shank.  Bond the (now hollow) rivet into a hole of the same size drilled in
a scrap of aluminum.  Then open the hole in the rivet with a drill which is
just barely bigger than the hole.  Clamp the new hinge in place on the
pre-drilled glass flange, and insert the hollow rivet into one of the old
rivet holes in the flange.  Using the same drill you used to open the hole
in the rivet, drill a pilot hole in the hinge, using the rivet as a guide.
When all of the pilot holes are drilled in this manner, open them up with
the proper size drill.  The new holes in the hinge should match the old ones
in the flange perfectly, with no enlargement of the holes in the glass.

Dave DeFord
#A135