Re: Replacing Aileron/Trim tab hinges

Subject: Re: Replacing Aileron/Trim tab hinges
From: Jim Graham <jlgraham@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 22:58:16
Tim,
On Bob Berube's advice (Europa US--Lakeland), some weeks ago I removed a
rudder hinge where I had accidentally used an excess of attaching flox,
thereby causing a "wicking" of epoxy into the hinge pin area... result:  a
rock-solid hinge instead of the old-fashioned moving type...

First I drilled out the rivets, then used a heat gun (torch with an
appropriate diffuser), and targeted the remaining exposed metal part of the
hinge with a fairly constant back and forth movement, and never getting too
close.  I also used a set of vise-grip pliers clamped onto the hinge to
provide an ever-so-slight gravity aided downward force.  After a few
minutes, it simply came off from the weight of the vise-grip, right into my
waiting left hand, and thereby saved me many many hours of rudder rework.
To the specific point of damage--I saw no indication of weakening or
separation of the plies, I think primarily because I did not directly heat
the fiberglass, but focused on the hinge metal.  It worked fine and I
appreciated the advice very much.  I believe that care and "going slow" is
the key.

Good luck,
Jim Graham
A-101