Replacing Aileron/Trim tab hinges

Subject: Replacing Aileron/Trim tab hinges
From: Tim Ledbury <timled@tpfcoda.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 22:51:23
        Has anyone had cause to replace the hinges on their
ailerons/trim tabs? My inspector was unhappy with the play on mine and
suggested using a heat gun on the hinge to loosen the bonded hinge. I
spoke to Andy at the factory this afternoon and he was concerned that
this could soften and deform the trailing edge where the hinge is
bonded. Initially he suggested carefully grinding away the aluminium
hinge....I'm really hoping there is a simpler way! Also, any hints on
how to ensure the holes in the new hinges for the rivets and screws line
up with those left in the wing/aileron and tailplane/trim tab.

        Andy did mention a Peter Kember had been in touch recently about
replacing his hinges...Peter if you're out there your
thoughts/experiences would be much appreciated.

Many thanks, Tim
--
Tim Ledbury,Tim.G.Ledbury@British-Airways.com