Re: electronic scales [was: NEW BUILDER - SCOTLAND]

Subject: Re: electronic scales [was: NEW BUILDER - SCOTLAND]
From: Jim Graham <jlgraham@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 00:24:22
Actually, some of us actually do cut off the ends of the stir sticks so they
will be flat--with the trusty band saw--just to avoid to "missed stirring
opportunities" you mention.  It's easy to do 10-20 of them at a time, and then
you have one round end and one flat end to use as one might wish.  The
underlying point however of preferring to have 0.1g accuracy is well taken I
think.  On small epoxy mixes (which many many will be), one needs reasonably
fine accuracy (or good resolution anyway) to be able to get them mixed to
within 1-2% accuracy, or even much better.  And, if you do happen to overrun a
target mix by just a gram or two, with either resin or hardener, it is easy
enough to add the very small "make-up" amount IF you can measure to 0.1g.  So
I'm satisfied with my Ohaus Scout SC4010 for those reasons...
Jim Graham
A-101  (still on horizontal tail)