brakes

Subject: brakes
From: Nigel Graham <NigelGraham@intercept.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 21:15:21
Hello Klaus,

>To extract the cylinder, do you think I can just remove the calliper and
then carefully activate the brake until the piston >comes out?

Yes, this will work but don't forget that as soon as the piston is out, all
the hydraulic fluid will be dumped onto the ground! so don't try it in the
living room.

>And do you think it would make sense to change to the Cleveland systems or
are our dimensions different. (BTW Andreas >has the same problem with his
brake)

Yes, The Cleveland part number is 30-9. It is a direct replacement. You will
have to swap over the two guide bars fitted to the original Europa caliper
as they are shorter. (Forget this and you will grind your tyre away). The
Cleveland has an anodised piston and a much nicer bleed valve. This would be
an ideal opportunity to relocate the caliper horizontally, the modified
mounting plate can be obtained direct from Europa Aircraft. Don't try to
re-drill the original.

 I would strongly advise mounting the bleed valve at the top of the caliper,
with the hose entering at the bottom, air ALWAYS rises to the top. This will
result in foolproof brake bleeding without having to jump through hoops ....
or turn the aircraft upside-down! God only knows why Europa put the original
bleed valve near the bottom.

I have taken the liberty of CC'ing the group since I know of others with the
same problem.

Nigel