Re: brakes

Subject: Re: brakes
From: Mark Burton <markb@ordern.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 18:30:15

From: "Klaus Dietrich" <KDIETRIC@AT.oracle.com>
Subject: brakes
Date: 13 Sep 1999 16:06:03 +0100

> Since the beginning of flying my nice little Mk I-Monowheel-Europa-OE-CKD, I
a had a problem with my wheel brake.  I couldn't manage to set the brake in such
a way that the brake is completely free when not activated.  There was always
some grip on the brake, which sometime got to a state that I could hardly push
the plane back into the hangar.........
> It seems that the piston, which pushes on to the exterior pad doesn't fully
> retract
back into its housing when the brake is not activated.
> I tried to take out a bit of the brake fluid but this didn't really help
> either.

> Anybody out there having similar problems with their brakes and any idea to
> cure
this??  Graham, pleeeease, what are your suggestions.......

> Thanks and
> Safe flying
> Klaus

Hello Klaus,

I used to have a lot of trouble with the slave piston refusing to go
back into the brake housing on my monowheel Europa (G-NEAT). The
problem was mainly due to having too much brake fluid in the system. I
understand that another common cause of the piston sticking is if the
pads are fairly worn and the piston has to stick out a long way to
fill the gap.

Regards,

Mark