Re: Upholstery: Seat comfort

Subject: Re: Upholstery: Seat comfort
From: Miles McCallum <milesm@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 08:26:58

>A seemingly trivial matter this, but it can cause some distress !
>
>During some longer cross-country trips which I've embarked on recently,
>my
>passengers and I have experienced the progressive development of a
>rather
>dull ache in the muscles of the gluteal region (polite description !),
>due
>principally to the lack of support provided by my standard seat
>cushions.

The standard solution - which we plan to employ - is to use lightweight
stiff foam (coloured white) or high density chipfoam (heavy) to provide the
seat contours - raised sides, bolstered lower back- and put a layer of
temperfoam over it before covering.

Temperfoam slowly contours itself to your shape so you don't get pressure
points on your ***, and is "G" sensitive - a fast application of G makes it
go stiff. Used in the Shuttle seats and some ejection seats. V. expensive,
available from Spruce, RD Aviation, etc, but well worth the expense.