Re: XS Wings

Subject: Re: XS Wings
From: Andy Draper <ANDY@europaaircraft.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 14:25:11
Firstly, did you counterbore the port spar hole sufficiently?  16 mm is
quoted in the manual for the counterbore.

Secondly you cannot torque tighten a stiff nut.  The torque reading will
be incorrect.  The loads on this bolt are principally in shear so,
provided that the nut is tight enough to prevent end float, this will be
sufficient.  It sounds as if you may have over tightened the nut and
damaged the bearings (there are two bearings in the BC4W10 bearing
assemblies now).

Thirdly, if you have had to file the diameter of the EUR001 washer it
sounds like you have got the wrong one.  The EUR001 washers outside
diameter is 0.62=22 and the inside diameter of the BC4W10 bearing housing
is 0.68=22.

Kind regards

Andy Draper
Technical Manager

andy=40europa-aircraft.com

>>> Tom & Cathy Friedland <tfriedland=40home.com> 09/22/99 02:35am >>>
Hi Europas

I have discovered a problem and solution for A 079.  Is it unique or
maybe a problem with others?

Page 8-11, Mono wheel manual:  Port wing:  Fitting the W16P bellcrank
had problems...  The AN4-31A bolt was not long enough.   Lakeside Bob
kindly sent me a 32A length which is barely ok.  However, when
tightening the nut enough to prevent play in the bolt (and at the torque
called for) there was much friction in BC4W10 bearing.  Way too much
friction=21  I found that the Euro 1 washers were causing friction
pressure on the bearing.  A little filing relife around the washers next
to the bearing relieved the restriction and now it is a smooth as the
newborn ass.

I plan to revisit the other BC4W10/Euro1 interfaces.  Is the same
problem there?

If anyone can teach me to draw on the computor, I will be happy to
illustrate my washer changes...

Tom Friedland   A 079 N 34CC

The Europa List is supported by Aviators Network UK - info=40avnet.co.uk