Re: wing tip lights & pitot tube run

Subject: Re: wing tip lights & pitot tube run
From: Klaus Assion <kjafly@snip.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 14:11:46

>>Paul McAllister wrote:

>> Could a few of you fellow "Europans"share your thoughts with me
>> on the best approach on how to handle the wires and plastic pitot
>> tube inside the XS wings.
>>
>> I intend to put wing tip nav & strobe lights on my XS and it occured
>> to me that I probably should run a tube through the ribs to take
>> both the wires and plastic tubes.
>>
>> What have some of you folk been doing with this ?  What type and
>> diameter tube, has been tried, and how was it physically been
>> located ?

Response:

>Paul ,
>
>We used 1/2" black PVC pipe as conduit for our light wires (one in each
>wing) and a seperate tube for both pitot and static. We ran the tubes in
>the approximate location the manual suggests for the pitot static/grommets.
>The pipe used was the type used in drip sprinkler systems, very light.
>The clear plastic tubing used for pitot static has a fairly short life
expectancy, so
>it seems appropriate to run it in something besides grommets, which would
>make replacement difficult. We also ran a piece of the conduit to the other
wing
>from the pitot static conduit as a spare, just in case we later wanted to
>run something out into that wing, such as an angle-of-attack sensor, etc.
>The outlet to the spare conduit can be reached from the aileron bell crank
inspection hole.

>Terry Seaver
>A135

Terry,

I am intending to install Aeroflash Nav/Strobe/Position light assemblies in
my XS wings and am questioning to use tubing for the cabling. The tubing for
the pitot tube too sounds good. But the question I have, (without any
aviation background) does the bouncing within the tube possibly generate
more wear and tear on the plastic pitot tube than being mounted via grommets
alone.  Is there something that can be filled into the tubing to restrict
movement.

Any comments to Aeroflash Nav/Strobe/Position light assemblies in use in a
Europa.

Klaus Assion
A017