Re: wing tip lights & pitot tube run

Subject: Re: wing tip lights & pitot tube run
From: Terry Seaver <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 16:22:03
Paul McAllister wrote:

> Could a few of you fellow "Europans"share your thoughts with me
> on the best approach on how to handle the wires and plastic pitot
> tube inside the XS wings.
>
> I intend to put wing tip nav & strobe lights on my XS and it occured
> to me that I probably should run a tube through the ribs to take
> both the wires and plastic tubes.
>
> What have some of you folk been doing with this ?  What type and
> diameter tube, has been tried, and how was it physically been
> located ?

Paul ,

We used 1/2" black PVC pipe as conduit for our light wires (one in each
wing) and a seperate tube for both pitot and static. We ran the tubes in
the approximate location the manual suggests for the pitot
static/grommets.
The pipe used was the type used in drip sprinkler systems, very light.
The
clear plastic tubing used for pitot static has a fairly short life
expectancy, so
it seems appropriate to run it in something besides grommets, which would

make replacement difficult. We also ran a piece of the conduit to the
other wing
---From the pitot static conduit as a spare, just in case we later wanted to
run something
out into that wing, such as an angle-of-attack sensor, etc. The outlet to
the spare
conduit can be reached from the aileron bell crank inspection hole.

Terry Seaver
A135