Re: wing tip lights & pitot tube run

Subject: Re: wing tip lights & pitot tube run
From: Fillinger@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 22:43:44

> I am intending to install Aeroflash Nav/Strobe/Position light assemblies in
>  my XS wings

Klaus --

If you're going for U.S. certification for night flight, make sure the
Aeroflash units met the 400 candela and related requirements.  Aeroflash
doesn't seem to disclose this in their literature and web site.  Makes me
suspicious, as their current draw tends to be lower than the FAR-compliant
Whelen's.

> But the question I have, (without any aviation background) does the bouncing
> within the tube possibly generate more wear and tear on the plastic pitot
tube
> than being mounted via grommets alone.

I really doubt it.  The movement they're subjected to is occasional and
long-period oscillations in turbulence.  We just completed the annual on my
other plane, and the factory just lays wires on the bottom wing skin with an
occasional plastic wire clamp.  27 years and a couple thousand hours this
way, and there's not a hint of chafing.  Ditto for the PVC tubing for pitot
and wing tank vent lines.

Regards,
Fred Fillinger, A063