Re: 'Water in fuel' incident.

Subject: Re: 'Water in fuel' incident.
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 23:57:40

>I've just returned from a day trip to the Isle of Wight, during which I
>had to make a
>precautionary landing due to rough running.
>
>Quite a lot of water was drained off from the bottom of the fuel tank
>(at least 20 ml).
>
>My Europa is a standard (Mark 1) 912.
>
>Has anyone else experienced this problem. Any thoughts as to the most
>likely source of the water
>contamination ?

I can only guess but I would think the most likely source of the water is
the jerry cans. We use one of the excellent fuel filter funnels with the
PTFE coated stainless steel mesh filter in the bottom. These are 70 micron
filters and because of the surface tension effect of PTFE and petrol will
not pass water. I've never found any water when draining G-KWIP's tanks, so
I don't believe condensation is likely in the Europa tank.

It should be noted that the 70 micron mesh will allow the passage of  water
if the filter is dry. IOW if the water came out of the jerry can first it
would go through the filter.

I am reminded of something I discovered many years ago with a BSA 2 stroke
bike. An easy fix for water in the carb was to put some meths (alcohol) in
the fuel line. This would dissolve the water and the engine would run long
enough on the water/alcohol long enough to purge the water out of the
system. The remaining alcohol would mix with petrol and disappear.

Graham