'Water in fuel' incident.

Subject: 'Water in fuel' incident.
From: Alan D Stewart <alan.stewart@cableinet.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 20:51:44

I've just returned from a day trip to the Isle of Wight, during which I
had to make a
precautionary landing due to rough running.

Quite a lot of water was drained off from the bottom of the fuel tank
(at least 20 ml).

My Europa is a standard (Mark 1) 912.

Has anyone else experienced this problem. Any thoughts as to the most
likely source of the water
contamination ?

I always leave the tank full or nearly full.
I always fill the tank from standard jerry cans, through a fine mesh
filter.
Sometimes the jerry cans are stored half empty for about a week.
The a/c and fuel are housed inside a large metal hanger.
I have been using a plastic 5 litre jug to calibrate fuel consumption,
emptying fuel backwards and
forwards from the jerry cans.
The use of unleaded auto-fuel has been the subject of some discussion in
the past. Does this contribute
to a risk of condensation in the tank ?

I think the main question I am asking is, what is the most likely cause
of water in the fuel ? (both for my
own benefit, and for others in the future).

--
Alan. D. Stewart

14 Goddard Way                     'phone : +44 1245 264186
Chelmer Village                    work   : +44 1473 607571
Chelmsford, Essex CM2 6UR          email  : alan.stewart@cableinet.co.uk

            office email :  alan.d.stewart@bt.com