Re: Martin Stoner's Accident in G-BWON

Subject: Re: Martin Stoner's Accident in G-BWON
From: nick norman <nick.norman@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 14:57:21
Brian Rauchfuss - PCD wrote:

> > I had the stick at this stage in the far left corner as the wind was
> > from 4 o-clock.
> > Martin Stoner
>
> I have recently been getting my tailwheel training and was discussing
> taxiing with a tailwind with my instructor.  He said that with a strong
> tailwind I would need to change from full stick back (when the engine
> slipstream was pushing the tail down) to full stick forward (when the
> tailwind was stronger than the slipstream).  He couldn't really give
> me any solid idea of how strong a tailwind was too strong.
>
> Can anyone give me an idea of how strong a tailwind would be required
> for one to use full forward stick (and away from the wind, of course) in
> a Europa?
>
> Brian

Brian,

It all depends on how much power you are using at the time. If you need to
apply a lot of power, eg to taxi up a slope, then back stick would probably
be best, whereas at idle forward stick would be best with even a moderate
tail wind. Sorry, you really can't put numbers on it. Sometimes you can feel
the wind coming from behind the tailplane as a tendancy for the stick to
want to move, but with the europa's powerful mass-balancing, this is hard to
feel.

Nick Norman