Stearman question

Subject: Stearman question
From: andrew.robinson@barco.com
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 15:43:31
Steve,

> They've tried adjusting the rudder trim tab, but that didn't seem to
> do
> any good.  My friend is wondering what else might cause this.  They're
> assuming the wings aren't out of rig since there's no wing drop in the
> stall.  He wondered aloud if the rudder/tail structure itself might be
> twisted?  Any other thoughts?

        I wouldn't assume that the wings are rigged correctly. During
stalls, the pilot may not be aware of making a slight correction with
the stick to hold everything level. Just a thought.

        Things to check:
        1. That all four wing sections are rigged correctly. One panel
may be off and not causing a low speed (at stall) problem, but at cruise
speed it is causing a roll. Or could the entire wing "box" be slightly
out of true in respect to the fuselage?

        2. Are the ailerons all adjusted correctly?

        3. Could the horz stab be inducing a slight roll  due to being
slightly out of line?

        4. And is the engine thrust angle correct?

        Aren't you in Wichita? There should be plenty of experts there.
I'm no expert on bipes, I'm just recalling some of the stuff I've read
in numerous articles. People who know their stuff about rigging bipes
have my respect.

        Andrew