A Tip for TP-1/TP-2 Joining

Subject: A Tip for TP-1/TP-2 Joining
From: Steve Genotte <gopack@sprintmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 21:49:30
Gents,

Forgive me if someone's already mentioned this, but I happened upon a
nice way to get a very good fit between TP-1 and -2 when sanding away
the clearance space for the TP-2 rib.

For both the starboard and port sides, I sanded back enough to where
there was only a millimeter or two of space between the cores, with an
uneven section of foam creating a bit of play. But how to find just
where that section is?  On the starboard core (The Core from Hell), I
sanded back too much of the vertical face before I found the actual
cause was along one of the horizontal sections of the foam.

On the port core (The Core of Purity and Light), I made sure the edges
were clear, then went to work on the vertical face.  I took some
plasticene (Silly Putty would do just as well) and rolled a length about
2 mm in diameter and long enough to outline the outer edge of the foam
around the center hole.  Sticking this to TP-2, I pushed the cores
together with enough force to squeeze the putty.  When I pulled the
cores apart, I could tell where the foam's high spot was by which
section of putty was flattened the most.  A few quick swipes over the
corresponding area of foam with a PermaGrit block and Voila!  A perfect
fit!

This doesn't take the place of marking the area properly before you
start sanding out the foam, but it made that last little bit a whole lot
easier to get right.

Yours in Europaness,

Steve Genotte

P.S.  If you see this email copied nearly verbatim onto my web page,
don't be disappointed.  I can only think of so many ways to say the same
thing over again.