Europa Taxiing Speed Assessment

Subject: Europa Taxiing Speed Assessment
From: m02n2h00@cwcom.net
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 12:18:01

Steve,

I read your letter and can reassure you that there is nothing strange,
or unusual, about assessing speed when taxiing a Europa.

For certain one sits lower than most aircraft which will give you a
greater sense of speed and as a result one is more likely to taxi
slowly.  That of course is good but if you normally fly a Boeing 747
then you may require a little time to adjust.

I read David Watts comments and make the following observations:

     a.    Even with the new tailwheel mod there is a blind spot and I
     strongly advise my students to weave when taxiing.

     b.    If one raises the tailwheel too early on the take-off roll it
     is the fin and rudder that have insufficient airflow over them and
     cannot provide directional control/stability.  If you have 35 knots
     airspeed indicated (assuming an accurate ASI) then you will have
     sufficient airflow over the fin and rudder to give directional
     stability and control.

     c.    I did not get a third party to send my mail!  I am now on the
     net and the address is : martin.stoner@cwcom.net.

I read Andy Draper's letter concerning where to put the stick when
taxiing and fully endorse what he said.  The only thing I would add is
that if the wind is strong enough to consider moving the stick around to
keep the aircraft on the ground then it should be put "where the wind
would blow it".  In other words, if the wind is from 4 o-clock the stick
should be at 10 o-clock.

Your sincerely

Martinl