Re: Rotax 912S

Subject: Re: Rotax 912S
From: JohnJMoran@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 11:28:58

<<  Over the next month he installed it into his Europa, building a
 > new scoop onto the front of his cowling as the engine apparently runs
 > hotter, and to that end comes with a GRP jacket around the barrels which is
 > to be connected to a fresh air supply.

I also purchased a 912S (from Europa) and did not get a GRP jacket or a Rotax
intake plenum (I did get a Europa plenum which does not include carb heat; the
Rotax plenum may not fit a Mk1 cowl?). Nor did the engine come with an
inventory list detailing the parts which are included with it.

There are a number of items which I felt should have been included with the
912S but were not:
  1. Faston type connectors compatible with the plug body which attaches to
the   voltage regulator. These are supplied on the alternator yellow leads
only.  They have a spur on the backside for retention in the plug body and
don't seem to be common in the US.
   2. Connectors for use with the CHT and oil temperature sensors. Apparently
these are some type of DIN connector, also not common hereabouts.
   3.  A 5-way fuel distribution block and hoses from fuel pump to carburetor.
The Rotax manual states that this is supplied and one need only connect fuel
to the fuel pump. But that would lead to the difficulty previously mentioned
on this forum: strong fuel smell and difficulty starting :-) .

It's unclear whether the parts supplied with my 912S were complete as intended
by Rotax/Europa or possibly some items were left out because it was one of the
early engines of this type. Perhaps those who purchased regular 912's could
comment on what parts were included with their engines and whether a shipping
inventory was included.

Meanwhile, I've designed an intake plenum which accepts cold air from the NACA
scoop on the cowl and warm air from below, with a switching system consisting
of a pair of butterfly valves, attached to the carbs via short 2 inch diameter
hoses.  And a 5 way fuel distributor was constructed from 3  Tee's and several
short hose sections.  Still unclear how to handle the electrical connectors
needed?

A different approach to the restrictor in the fuel return line: I tapped the
backside of the FS02 (6-32), chamfered the outer edges a bit, and installed it
backwards i.e. with the back (now threaded) side toward the Tee.  The concept
was that if it plugs up it can be retrieved by threading a 2 inch long 6-32
screw into it to pull it out; don't know if it will work in practice but it
seemed worth a try to simplify possible future maintenance.

Regards,   John    A044