Annonymous

Subject: Annonymous
From: David Watts <dwatts@ns1.avnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 23:30:21
To tackle the highly 'skilled pilot' first. Sarah and me had just 80 hours
in our log books when we started flying our Europa, 6 of which were
taildragger in Cubs. Yes sure we had to get some training, with Martin
Stoner, and yes we took 8 to 9 hours before we were happy and even then we
came home and helped each other. But now it's just great. The aircraft
always goes exactly where we want it to on the ground and in the air, it's a
real joy. At the end of 12 months we had clocked up 200 hours and now have
250 and fly it 3 or more times a week.

As for the demo flight. I never imagined that I would get to take it off or
land it. If Ivan had allowed any person to come along and do that without
knowing them, he would have been more stupid than I could have imagined.

As for the build time. Yes 500 hours was optimistic(!!), but it seems to go
hand in hand with homebuilding (even a kitchen unit). We took 1200 manhours
and enjoyed every minute of it. Also I would like to mention that the
advertised time for the XS is very achievable (so perhaps Europa are setting
a new standard for advertising in homebuilding).

The issue of Europas being bent is a vast subject and certainly not all due
to ground handling problems. Some are definitely due to lack of training.
Some are due to the old tailwheel configuration, while others we may never
know. If you think you can fly this, or many other aircraft, without the
appropriate training, you are not being practical. Also the PFA are well
aware of the whole situation and there opinion has been voiced before, 'get
some training'.

As for Martin Stoners problem, please do not prejudge a situation without
any information. As has already come to light, it appears he was contending
with a 35 knot tailwind, and I can confirm that some parts of Kemble
aerodrome are very rough.

Perhaps you should all put in a concentrated effort and get the machine
flying. Then with the correct training you will start to really enjoy the
fruits of your labour.

Dave Watts, Europa G-BXDY Kit No. 229