Re: Martin Stoner's Accident in G-BWON

Subject: Re: Martin Stoner's Accident in G-BWON
From: Andy Draper <andy@europaaircraft.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 09:24:26
Bryan,

With the engine idling the prop is producing relatively little slipstream so I
would suggest that unless using significant power settings (3000 rpm and above)
hold the stick forward in winds of 15kts (from behind) and above.
If in doubt about wind conditions, don=27t open the hanger doors.
As Martin has said, don=27t go for the brake if things start to go awry, this
will
almost always exacerbate the situation, especially if you are in a turn.

Best regards
Andy Draper

Technical Manager
andy=40europa-aircraft.com

>>> Brian Rauchfuss - PCD <brauchfu=40pcocd2.intel.com> 03/04/99 01:10am >>>

> I had the stick at this stage in the far left corner as the wind was
> Martin Stoner

taxiing with a tailwind with my instructor.  He said that with a strong
tailwind I would need to change from full stick back (when the engine
slipstream was pushing the tail down) to full stick forward (when the
tailwind was stronger than the slipstream).  He couldn=27t really give
me any solid idea of how strong a tailwind was too strong.

Can anyone give me an idea of how strong a tailwind would be required
for one to use full forward stick (and away from the wind, of course) in
a Europa?

Brian

The Europa List is supported by Aviators Network UK - info=40avnet.co.uk