Re: Monowheel Europa Bites Red Arrows Leader!

Subject: Re: Monowheel Europa Bites Red Arrows Leader!
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 00:13:44
>Monowheel Europa Bites Red Arrows Leader!

All airplanes bite. Red Arrows or not if you turn your back on 35 kts of
gusty wind in a taildragger your Rs will get eaten.

>It begs the question 'Why have so many Europas had ground-handling
incidents?'
>- resulting in over 40 separate repair claims,

Why have certain pilots had several accidents? And why have so many of the
claims you talk about happened at the same place? Are some pilots incapable
of learning or what? Why have so many of these claims happened to Europas
with an engine that is not recommended by Europa Aircraft Co? I know one
guy who had three forced landings before grounding his aircraft pending a
change to the recommended motor.

We have been very pleased with our Europa, an early Mk I, we've flown 100
hours with the original tailwheel and another 100 with the new
configuration. No insurance claims, in spite of operating from a very
tricky farm strip. Martin Stoner's old mate Jon Tye has done exactly the
same and is also delighted with his aircraft. So are all of the owners I
know, including two who did have accidents. Neither attributable to any
shortcoming of the aircraft.

If you are not prepared to elevate your level of skill above that required
to fly a C150, you should not expect to fly any homebuilt aircraft without
coming to some sort of grief. Some American designs are far less forgiving
than the Europa. AFAIK only one injury has resulted, touch wood, after an
engine failure after take off. Not surprisingly that too was not a factory
recommended engine.

Graham