Re: Instant Weight and Balance

Subject: Re: Instant Weight and Balance
From: Gramin@aol.com
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 04:58:24
In a message dated 06/01/99  15:31:14, you Fergus wrote:

<< so the sine of the angle well might vary the results to
 considerable effect. Having seen the calculations concerning big
 'planes, I has me doubts. How about asking some V-bomber/SAC >>

Well I don't think ground slope would be a problem. Hangars and aprons are
generally designed to be perpendicular to local gravity to stop unbraked
machines departing. I actually have two  spirit levels in the  cockpit - one
for the days when one had to lift the tail to check sight gauge contents, and
now a transverse one to verifty the two sight gauges read the same each side !
so checking (and chocking) would be esay.

I understand our Kit. no. 1 pilot was a V-bomber jockey - but I've never seen
him on the net.  What did/do they do/try to do, in large planes ?

Yes, the bungee won't do.   I was hoping that in a similar way  to the route
micrometers took some years back, the humble caliper gauge would have become
digital too.   Though there is more to adding a readout from a digital display
than most people would want to get involved in.

Moire fringe gratings (as used in precision coordinate measuring machines and
lathes, before lasers came in ) come to mind, but that was pretty expensive
technology.

Keep thinking guys

Graham C. G-EMIN