Re: Hobbs Meter

Subject: Re: Hobbs Meter
From: Martin J.Tuck <102034.2747@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 20:05:28
Re: Hobbs Meter

You can tell I'm working through the instrument panel  .... another
question ...

I have a Hobbs meter, the installation diagrams of which show connection to
the ignition switch or via an oil pressure switch. I have a standard
ignition switch, i.e. put the key in and turn for 'Left', 'Right', 'Both'
and 'Start'.

Can't see how you could attach the Hobbs to the ignition switch as the Mag
positions just 'unground' the mags, and the Start position just provides
power to the start solenoid for as much time as you hold it in that
position. Am I missing something?

Not having an oil pressure switch (yet) I'm just wondering if one can be
used on the Rotax engine - is it electrical or mechanical? (is it attached
to the oil return line somewhere). I'd like to know before I buy one.

Unusually, none of the Bingelis books cover this point.

Any comments on what others have done would be appreciated.

Regards

Martin Tuck
N152MT
Wichita, Kansas