Re: Gelcoat

Subject: Re: Gelcoat
From: Kenneth Whiteley <kenwhit@kenwhit.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 23:54:36
In message <199804140904_MC2-39D6-B0D3@compuserve.com>, Duncan
MacFadyean <Halcrow_MRO@compuserve.com> writes
>I thought it was the other way about. Also,
>
>"long term shrinkage of epoxy"
>I thought this was the other way about too!

There was some discussion about this way back, but I am not well set up
to search all the previous mail of the Europa group. It is a fact that
sailplanes are made by first spraying a coating of gel-coat into the
mould and then laying up the epoxy and glass on top of it. The shrinkage
is a problem that we have with the tailplane of our 20 year old Slingsby
Vega at the moment. Although it doesn't need a gel coat replacement, it
does need filling to restore the original profile.

Ken Whiteley