Gelcoat

Subject: Gelcoat
From: Rowland and Wilma Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 22:32:58
The more I read, the more confused I get!

It appears the term "gel-coat" is used in two different ways in different
contexts:

(a) a first layer of resin on a mould, with no glass, to get a smooth
finish on the item being made in the mould

(b) a special type of paint used to get a very good finish, usually on
sailplanes (gliders), but also used on several Europas here in Europe in
place of "normal" paint.

I hope that the comments about poor weathering when referring to (a) are
not also applicable to (b). If so, why do the glider types bother to pay
for this superb finish if it's only going to last 5 minutes?

cheers

Rowland
(aka confused of Cheltenham)

... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...