Gelcoat

Subject: Gelcoat
From: Rick Jory <rickjory@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 19:41:11
I'm monitoring both the Europa site and the GlaStar site (not having made a
final decision as to which route to go).  There's a considerable discussion
in the GlaStar archives concerning gelcoat and getting small quantities of
gelcoat to cover seams, etc.  I thought I'd copy and paste one comment that
might be relevant.  This concerns a GlaStar being built at the
Stoddard-Hamilton factory:

"I was listening to Ted Setzer talk to Jim Londo when Jim was building
his 'Star in the factory.  Ted recommends using an air-powered vibrating
sanding block and taking the time to sand off most of the gel-coat.
The gel coat will shrink over time and show the glass weave.  He said
to use overlapping 45 degree strokes in a criss-cross pattern till you
can almost see the weave.  He said that this will get rid of a lot of
weight also.  Then, spray on a filler, sand, prime & paint.  I know it's
a lot of extra work, but you get a Glasair-like finish."

Other verbage suggests removal of virtually all of the gelcoat before
painting???? I have no idea how valid this is, but thought I'd share it.