Re: Gelcoat

Subject: Re: Gelcoat
From: DaveBuzz <DaveBuzz@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 13:36:08
In a message dated 11/04/98  21:41:40,  rowil@clara.net writes:
<< The more I read, the more confused I get!
 It appears the term "gel-coat" is used in two different ways in different
 contexts:
 (a) a first layer of resin on a mould, with no glass, to get a smooth
 finish on the item being made in the mould
  (b) a special type of paint used to get a very good finish, usually on
 sailplanes (gliders), but also used on several Europas here in Europe in
 place of "normal" paint. >>

Rowland,  Schabbellack has been approved by the PFA as an alternative paint
for youropa. we wouldnt be using it otherwise. Just make sure you put enough
on to sand it flat, i've gone through to the filler on one aileron and will
have to paint it again. The finish is good though, especially when polished.

chus, dave
G-BXUM