Fuel Gauge

Subject: Fuel Gauge
From: Jim Naylor <jnaylor@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 08:41:53
>Jim,
>
>How are you getting on with Jerry's fuel tank sender? My build progress is
>being held up while I choose a sender and I want to know if you see (or saw)
>any problems finding a location for Jerry's unit.
>
>Looking at how the tank sits in the aircraft there doesn't seem to be a lot
>places that the tank full height coincides with clear area to cut an
>inspection hole in the cockpit module.
>
>I am finding the new (smaller) tank to be an interesting challenge. With the
>cockpit module upside down it is really difficult to establish where it will
>sit in the finished aircraft. I brought my fuselage base into the workshop
>last night to check it out and the tank sits at a very different angle in the
>plane to where it wants to sit while being laid up. Development time again!!
>
>Have a good one.
>
>Tony

I think there may be few others out there who are interested in an
inexpensive electric fuel gauge, so I will post the reply back to the group
even though the original message was intended for my ears only.

I have not received the unit yet, but I am expecting it in the post today,
so I can't give you much of an update at the moment, but I can tell you
what my Ideas are.  I see two options for mounting.

One is to fit it through a hole in the head rest. This would be rather
difficult but would look neat.

 The other is to position it just outside the head rest and back as far as
possible. This I am hoping, will allow the float rod to just clear the
tunnel, if not, I can angle the rod away slightly by putting a wedge shaped
washer under the head. Jerry assures me, although bending it is a no no, a
slight angle on the unit will not affect it. I know of at least one
capacitance gauge fitted in this position and working successfully.

The other mod. I want to do at the same time, is reposition the sight gauge
to directly in front of the tank, with the breather tube returning directly
into the tank through a fitting on the flange of the electric gauge. This
should eliminate the problem of fuel sitting in the breather tube, causing
errors and also get rid of the fuel line running around your knees.

We will then hopefully have two reliable fuel gauges, and an access hatch
to the tank for inspections.

Obviously I have to submit the mods.to the PFA.first, so I will not be able
to get stuck into the job straight away, but I will post further up dates
soon.

Jim.