Fuel types

Subject: Fuel types
From: Martin J.Tuck <102034.2747@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 20:16:08
Fuel Types

My Rotax 912 has arrived and I was quite surprised to see what the manual
has to say about fuel types.

Sure it confirms Europa's statement in the most recent newsletter which
says that Rotax approve leaded and unleaded mogas as well as Avgas 100LL,
but the manual also states that because of the higher lead content in Avgas
100LL, the wear of the valve seats and deposits in the combustion chamber
will increase. Therefore, it adds, use Avgas only if you encounter problems
with vapour lock or if Mogas is not available.

I was planning to use just Avgas as although Mogas is currently 97 cents a
gallon the gas station is in the opposite direction to the airfield I am
planning to fly from and the least time spent on the Kansas roads during
the transportation process the better.

I was wondering if - as probably most of the UK flyers use 100LL,
particularly as the CAA safety leaflet 'use of mogas' which came with the
Europa owners manual states that you can only use leaded 4-star - unleaded
Mogas not being permitted (we can't get leaded mogas here now) that most of
you are using 100LL.

100LL does have its benefits. It doesn't have such a lingering smell as
mogas and doesn't stain your tank red. Its also readily available where you
fly your aircraft from.

Is the Rotax statement just another 'there for liability' reason (like many
of the other statements regarding the use of the engine) or have operators
found engine wear caused by the use of 100LL?

I would be interested to hear.

Regards

Martin Tuck
N152MT