Re: Fuel Gauge

Subject: Re: Fuel Gauge
From: Gramin <Gramin@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 18:14:17
In a message dated 10/03/98  00:56:32,  tonyk@kaon.co.nz writes:

<< If it is outside the tunnel does that mean it is sitting against your hip?

Spose it depends on your hips.  Certainly below 10 litres  it is easier to see
on the passenger side, for (as long as you are not misinterpreted) you can
prod them aside in the lower regions if their clothing obscures it.  It is as
easy to look under your arm  as over it. I would not normally expect to look
low down on my (reserve) side, as it would have been panic stations some time
earlier.

I didn't try anything inside the tunnel as :

1) one of the PFA objections to the pipette gauge was that "the pilot should
not have to DO anything apart from look at it", and lifting a lid is in this
category is it not ?

2) I have hinged the lid on the rear of the tunnel top, and this ledge would
obscure an important section of the tube.  Didn't want to rebuild all that
again, and anyway it's dark in there !    (You could put a (fridge type) light
in there, though).

3) The top of the tank is much narrower than the bottom, so  vertical internal
pipes would run pretty close to where your hand goes for the fuel tap.. Ok,
you can make the pipes follow the profile of the side of the tunnel, but the
scale then has to be a weird shape and so on.

But no doubt you could do it your way from scratch.

Graham C.  G-EMIN