Re: New Tailwheel

Subject: Re: New Tailwheel
From: Gramin@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 14:49:30
In a message dated 08/11/97  18:47:32, Dave Watts wrote:

<< one only needs to attach a new
 cross piece of an appropriate size on which to connect the drive cables to
 the new wheel. I suppose the main and probably only question is what size
 the cross piece should be  >>

To answer that  question one needs to know what turning limits the wheel is
supposed to have.  The stops I understand are set for +/- 60 deg but he
factory mod. can only reach about half this.,If so how do we retrieve the
turning circle ?

The 25 mm aft offset of the tailwheel horn from the vertical axis doesn't
seem to do anything useful . It   limits the motion of the wheel, makes  the
opposite cable go slack and giving noticeable assymetry. A corresponding aft
shift of the driving arm helps hardly  does not correct this.  One can get
more motion by lengthening the driving arm e.g.  144 mm  can achieve +/- 60
deg. if the 25 mm rear offset is removed, but  can we really use this in
landing, with the heavy springs supplied ?

G-EMIN