New Tailwheel

Subject: New Tailwheel
From: David Watts <dwatts@ns1.avnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 20:19:32
Having now test flown 'XDY this weeks job is to fit the new tailwheel, to
tame the ground handling ready for us to learn to fly it.
My question is, has anyone already fitted the new gear, retaining the old
arangement for the drive mechanism and received PFA approval.
As I see it you only need to fit the spring and chop a bit off the bottom of
the rudder to clear. If you take the wheel and yoke of the old tailwheel and
saw the drop lugs off the bit that remains, one only needs to attach a new
cross piece of an appropriate size on which to connect the drive cables to
the new wheel. I suppose the main and probably only question is what size
the cross piece should be although you would probably make it from the
supplied material for the rudder/tailwheel horn.
Dave Watts 229