Re: Re: Rudder control failure, etc

Subject: Re: Re: Rudder control failure, etc
From: Brian Rauchfuss - PCD <brauchfu@pcocd2.intel.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 09:57:48

> And, the same reference specifies that zinc plated sleeves are required with
> stainless cable while copper sleeves should be used with carbon steel cables.
> Is this important?

I think that this is important for preventing corrosion.  I have a book on
construction techniques which goes through the Nicopress process in detail,
I check it and get back to you.

> > In another area, the DAR who will do the final inspection on completion
> > visited recently for an informal in-process inspection.  He was generally
> > impressed with the quality of the kit but suggested two changes for safety
> > reasons. First, he said that any bolt subject to rotation in use should not
> > use self-locking nuts

This is a general rule in aircraft construction.  It should always be followed,
since self-locking nuts may not if the bolt is under rotation!

> This would then include several on the flap arms would it not. I have seen
> reference to safetying any nuts subject to rotation before. Any comments.

The "castle" nut and a drilled bolt is used for rotating bolts.  One of the
notches on the castle nut is lined up with the hole in the bolt and a pin
is slid in and then bent into place.

bra-uchfu@NOSPAMpcocd2.intel.com like the artist paints his dreams on
(remove - and NOSPAM)                 a canvas"  -  Minor Detail