Re: Re: Rudder control failure, etc

Subject: Re: Re: Rudder control failure, etc
From: Tony Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 15:41:37

..... Seems like this
> info should be included in the manual for us first time builders.

I agree, this has already led to one incident!

> And, the same reference specifies that zinc plated sleeves are required
with
> stainless cable while copper sleeves should be used with carbon steel
cables.
> Is this important?

Every document I have seen referencing Nicopress sleeves agrees with you
comment above so I would stick to it.

> Also, one of my project advisors has suggested using two Nicopress sleeves
> instead of one on all cable ends in the rudder system, based on failures
> reported in amateur built aircraft.  His position is that it is cheap
> insurance from both a cost and weight standpoint.  Comments?

There is a professional Nicopress installer who lives a couple of km from me.
His policy is to -always- install two sleeves even when using thin cable.

> In another area, the DAR who will do the final inspection on completion
> visited recently for an informal in-process inspection.  He was generally
> impressed with the quality of the kit but suggested two changes for safety
> reasons. First, he said that any bolt subject to rotation in use should not
> use self-locking nuts

This would then include several on the flap arms would it not. I have seen
reference to safetying any nuts subject to rotation before. Any comments.

Tony
Tony Krzyzewski    tonyk@kaon.co.nz
Managing Director  Ph 64 9 520 4631
Kaon Technologies  Fx 64 9 520 3321