Re: Breath of fresh air

Subject: Re: Breath of fresh air
From: Tony Renshaw <renshaw@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 09:04:48
Tony,
Long time hear. How goes it? Slow but steady progress on my side of the Tasman.
 It seems if you anticipate flying in hot weather you need good ventilation
and it could be said that the Europa may not provide it with the standard
vent locations. We need to find an adaquate fix that doesnt compromise the
aircraft in terms of drag, or at least not too much. The CO2 is obviously a
significant side effect of too much external air entering the cabin, so lets
positively charge the cabin as much as possible, and seal it up like Klaus
Dietrich did around his flap actuating rods (good idea) . Any hole we open
up intending on letting air in will need a corresponding outlet of equal or
larger area to let the air out or the inlet will choke. So where do you put
the outlets? Ideally in an area of negative pressure that will not
compromise the aerodynamics. The rear bulkhead is the obvious position, and
it is fine to say this is a non standard mod, but why would you put it on
the outside of the fuse if the same task could be performed on the inside,
albeit outside of the cabin. How would the NACAs in the rear do the job any
better? I think we are going to need scoop type inlets for adaquate fresh
air in conjunction with good outlets that you can close when not required.
The other option is what I noticed is on the very first Europa brochure I
saw from the factory which displays a car type vent on the instrument panel
which must have been fed through the firewall. No doubt this was for warm
air but it would be nice if it could be plumbed also for cold air. Am I
missing an obvious reason as to the impracticality of this?
 Maybe the factory can elaborate on this?
Regards
Tony Renshaw
Builder No.236