Re: Compute bis'

Subject: Re: Compute bis'
From: Tony Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 09:32:48

 What I still do not understand is
> why anyone would send  E-mails in such a form unlesss they were drawings
>  which none of the ones I have checked have been.

Internet Email was originally designed around "plain" text without the
ability to include national language or special characters. As these
characters feature heavily in modern PC applications a new method of sending
mail was developed where the main message was put inside an encoded envelope
and attached to the mail message. When the mail message arrives the mail
program looks at the attachment, decodes it and any special characters and
displays it in its original form.

Of course if you have a mail program that doesn't work this way then you get
to see the attachment as an attachment!

Tony

Tony Krzyzewski    tonyk@kaon.co.nz
Managing Director  Ph 64 9 520 4631