Re: Mods n' things

Subject: Re: Mods n' things
From: Miles McCallum <milesm@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 23:37:08
snip

>I've often wondered why similar arrangements haven't been tried for
>homebuilt airplanes--i.e. considering the parachute a pilot extraction
>and rescue system rather than trying to save the a/c, which will most
>likely be a write-off in any case.  The parachute itself could be
>significantly smaller and lighter.

snip

 Zvezda currently markets a very sophisticated system for the SU-26 family.
I believe
>they guarantee it down to 100m and 80 knots.  Weighs around 12 Kg per
>seat, costs around $12K.  The 'chute is packed in a rugged headrest box
>assembly (knowing Zvezda, probably forged from a single billet of
>unobtainium).  Pulling the handle simultaneously launches this thing
>through the canopy, shattering same, via powerful springs (no pyros!),
>and releases the fittings holding the pilot's harness to the airplane.
>Canopy deploys, lines stretch, and out you go.

I am hoping (!) that our BRS installation will not weigh more than an extra
25 kg in total over a "non-BRS" Europa, so no real gain there -and the price
will certainly be far less -around $2500/seat? Of course, if you don't fancy
the descent rate under a BRS canopy, you can always hit the silk... The
advantage of a "2 (or 3...)-chute system" is that you can be pretty sure of
exiting the aeroplane OK. Too many pilots have died because they couldn't
actually get out -vis an aerobatic bonanza around LA a few years ago: the
doors wouldn't jettison, and the pilot was found jammed in the door opening.

 Hmmm; and I suppose that the aeroplane has a better chance of surviving the
impact to fly another day! The other problem, of course, with a Europa is
that the cabin roof is part of the roll over structure... and that would
have to go for an extraction system.

My view is that it's potentially worth the effort and cost: it's a much
better investment than a leather interior, or a panel full of goodies (we're
limited to day VFR over here anyway) and whilst I expect to come back from
every flight I do, I have waved off several people who didn't. I can see a
time when such systems will be the norm rather than the exception -and a lot
of people will be better off for it.

What's more, it's a fascinating project: working out how you actually fit
the device without compromising other things (too much...) and make it easy
to build, and... great fun. It's also finally given me the impetus to learn
how to use Autocad. No aeroplane is perfect -or exactly to your taste, so
mods and improvements are part of the pleasure of building.We are fortunate
in having the PFA oversee and approve mods here: They are quite pragmatic,
open minded, and primarily interested in safety -and it keeps the Half baked
mob at bay.

Miles