Re: Mods n' things

Subject: Re: Mods n' things
From: John O'Connor <OCONNORJ@btmaa.bel.alcatel.be>
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 16:30:30

Peter S. Lert wrote:

> I've often wondered why similar arrangements haven't been tried for
> homebuilt airplanes--i.e. considering the parachute a pilot extraction
> and rescue system rather than trying to save the a/c, which will most
> likely be a write-off in any case.

Are there any stats of cause and result for live deployments?

I had assumed that, in the absence of unfriendly terrain, one would only
wish to deploy a BRS in the event of some kind of airframe failure. In
that case, you might well be looking at an aircraft which is a write-off
before impact anyway.

In the event of a fire, I would much rather use a pilot extraction
device.

John