Switch ratings

Subject: Switch ratings
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <RNuckolls@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 23:46:57

 / . . . . . . .I think we can comfortably assume that
 /the primary consideration is to be able to switch a circuit
 /with as near to 100% reliability as practically possible.

  Why is this a necessary part of a sport airplane
  system consideration?  Since military specifications
  for all things began pouring out of Washington, their
  #1 goal has and always will be, to fight a war. In
  times of battle, minimize the hassles with the machine
  so as to not distract and/or cripple the combatant.
  This quest for 100% (or even 99.99%) dribbled over into
  aircraft because the major drivers of aircraft requirements
  -AND- financers of new designs were military or commercial
  transport.

  As long as the researchers could tap that very deep well
  of taxpayer's pockets, a quest for ultimate device(s)
  was well financed and justifiable under the rules of
  weapons development.

 /That means it opens or closes as many times as necessary under
 /any conditions of flight (altitude, moisture, lightning strike
 /etc etc) and of electrical health (low volts, high volts...)
 /we are likely to find.  I would also add 'for the life of the
 /aircraft' but this in itself may be a design consideration
 /alone. We also need a clear indication of the switch status at all
 /times.

  Of all single-engine piston airplanes setting on the ramps of
  US airports, what percentage of installed switches have
  been subjected to extremes of any of the stresses you mention?
  Moisture and temperature cycles just sitting on the ramp between
  flights seems to be the greatest stress. Switch failures I've analyzed
  seem to cluster around old airplanes with relatively low
  utilization at one end and, of course, airplanes with very
  high utilization at the other end.  In the first case, switches
  died of old age with realtively few electrical operations
  on them. In the later case, switches simply reached end of
  service life.

 /1. Can the switch handle the current?

 /Considerations include:  average current, inrush current,
 /current under unfavourable supply or loading conditions,
 /after deterioration of the contact condition or the mechanical
 /latching conditions, during switch on contact bounce, switch
 /off arcing.

 /Average current....that bit is easy, in fact it is the only
 /characteristic commonly published for most switches fitting
 /the small toggle bill.

   Okay, let's partition off the tasks here. There are very
   few loads in airplanes that raise concerns for contact
   life due to electrical loading. The obvious ones are
   landing lights, pitot heat, and maybe nav lights . . .
   Hmmmm . . . we're now down to 6 amps.

 /Inrush current .. ahhh ..  this is a real demon.   Dammed
 /hard to measure, the only way I know is with an HF current
 /probe and an Oscilloscope.  Insert any resistance and the
 /measured value can be decimated. Another factor is that
 /the inrush magnitude is a function of the supply impedance.
 /An interesting exercise would be to calculate the supply
 /impedance summing (algebraically as necessary) wire
 /resistance, battery int imp,  alternator,  fuse/cb etc
 /and measure the cold resistance of a typical incandescent
 /bulb/s for say the nav lights or landing lights.
 /I would be interested n the result but my guess is that
 /it would be way above the 5x normally quoted.

  Actually, not true.  10x is easily hypothesized by measuring
  lamp cold resistance but airplane wiring rapidly drops the
  multiplier . . . 5 times the running value is right in the
  ballpark on most light planes.

 /One trap here is the common practice of using a bench
 /supply for testing.  A bench supply  usually exhibits
 /significant current limiting, either by design or
 /accident. An installation testing OK on the bench,
 /but when a well charged battery and alternator is put
 /behind it, the transient behaviour can be quite different.

   I've found that the alternator doesn't contribute much to
   the equation. It's dynamic impedance is pretty high and
   even fully loaded, it's good for 50-100 amps.  Modern
   RG or NiCad batteries can support inrush transients
   to 1000 amps or more; but not when driving a load from
   the far end of a piece of wire.  Loads that toggle switches
   are expected to control in light airplanes are just not
   very nasty.

 /Additionally, modern electronics often has a varistor
 /capacitor input circuit. The varistor has only marginal
 /impact on the charge current. I myself have had to resort
 /to a soft start circuit with a 140Volt DC (rectified mains)
 /supply into a 2200uF filter capacitor in an application
 /where the switch contacts welded after the first closure.

  But that's a whole different ball game. AC mains at the
  ordinary wall socket can be charaterized with potential
  fault currents in the hundreds of amps behind a 117 VAC
  push . . . very hot arcs compared to tens of amps pushed
  by 14 volts . . . this just isn't an apples for apples
  comparison. The heat generated at during closure-bounce
  in your example is at least an order of magnitude greater
  if not two magnitudes.

 /2. ...under unfavourable loading conditions - stalled
 /motor etc hopefully the fuse/cct breaker will protect
 /this.  But a stiff bearing might cause a 100% variation
 /in the continuous load current.

  But name me one motor in a light aircraft application
  that has any chance of pushing very hard on a switch?
  Flaps? Okay, let's assume 5 amps (Big flap motor) fused
  at 7 amps.  Inrush to this motor could be less than that
  of a 10 amp landing light system. A 100% increase in
  continuous load due to bearing failure (5 amps
  x 15 volts is 70 watts . . . going into two bearings?
  They are going to warm them up VERY quick with mucho whining
  and complaining).

 /I'll bet you have had to change a number of switches
 /because the mechanism  has failed due 'no apparent
 /reason'. I'll wager it was heat related.

   Actually, most of the failures I've seen are environmental
   whether the faiure exhibits itself mechanically or
   electrically.  Oddly enough, not 1 hour ago my wife
   and I landed after observing some fantastic cloud
   structures and a beautiful sunset over the Kansas
   wheatfields.  As we were rolling up to the hangar,
   I turned on the dome light in the C-150 we were using
   and the light didn't come on!  I wiggled the switch
   a bit and the light could be made to flash. These are
   the little 69-cent rockers I've been talking about.
   You'd think that the landing light switch would be
   the first to go after 30+ years . . . but no, it
   was the switch that controlled a single, .08 amp
   lamp on the ceiling!  Corroded internal contacts
   no doubt.

 / Arcing... DC/AC etc etc can only lead to a degradation
 / in the contact condition. Another book on this topic, but
 / lets leave it for now.

   The #1 switch problem in single engine Cessnas
   is degredation of the alternator side of the
   battery master switch. This switch carries 3 amps
   MAX but it is a slightly inductive load. With
   months to years of little blue flames along
   with dust and moisture, contact resistance
   goes up. The result is a voltage regulator that
   goes nuts trying to figure out what the REAL
   bus voltage.  Nobody suspects switch "failure"
   because it's still turning things on and of and
   it feels okay . . . but the voltage regulator
   can't abide an additional 100 milliohms of
   resistance in the voltage control loop. Thousands
   of Cessna owners have suffered thousands of dollars
   in expense to replace regulators, ov relays and
   alternators without fixing a jumpy bus voltage.
   Replacing the $17 switch fixed it.

 /So tell me, how can anyone know the real characteristics
 /of a toggle switch for which the average rated current is
 /the only published data?

  Easy, don't worry about it. The circumstances where you might
  begin to push a switch to limits simply don't exist in
  contemporary light plane designs and that's the way it
  SHOULD be.  An RV pilot isn't going to risk dying because
  his AmRam missiles would't arm due to a single switch failure!

 /I agree that if a switch is used within it's design limitations
 /it will work almost for ever, and I'll also bet the Cessna's
 /electrical designer / switch supplier put a lot of effort into
 /the design.  The switches may look the same as others but what
 /are the real specs.

   I was there when the rockers were installed in the Cessnas,
   they are catalog-item commercial switches. We did run some
   silly little cycle-life tests that the manufacturer had already
   done and documented but our DER wanted us to test SOMETHING.
   Heaven forbid that we didn't have some document on hand thirty
   years later to show that we "tested" the things. The total
   effort required to bring those switches on board was less
   than 200 person-hours on the part of engineering, drafting,
   experimental and service parts cataloging COMBINED. People have
   been trained (fooled?) into thinking that a great deal of
   analysis goes into EVERY certified airplane part . . . it simply
   isn't so.

 /In my eyes, the mil spec lever switch of guaranteed quality
 /looks real pretty. The cute plastic jobs do not.

  Not a thing wrong with these switches. But why spend $25
  for a switch to operate a $20 landing light bulb that you
  KNOW is going to fail?  At some point in time you'll
  find yourself landing in the dark no matter how good
  your switch is.  Okay, how about dual landing lights?
  Great . . . now you've got redundant switches too. Again,
  why spend extra $ to feel good about the switches when
  you can replace it in a few minutes without even dragging
  you tie on the floorboards?

 /Also, WRT solid state switches, one strike (lightning)  and
 /they may be 15% damaged, or perhaps 50%, or if you're real
 /lucky 100% kaput.

  I don't know of anyone offering "solid state" switches
  as a replacement for ordinary toggle functions. Solid
  state relays (opto-couple/triac/a.c.) devices abound and
  DC ones are just around the corner with the advent of
  low Rds(on) FETs and photo-voltaic opto couplers. But
  you only need two or maybe three of these (landing lights
  and pitot heat, nav lights) . . . and then only because
  you want to control your airpalne with little minature toggles.

  All the things you mention are of intense interest
  to some people, just not light airplane builders. They
  should be designing for failure tolerant systems that
  feature low-cost, easy to replace components with
  reasonable service life . . and each builder will have
  to come up with his own definition of "reasonable."

  Here in the US, the average utilization of a light airplane
  is under 100 hours per year with less than 10 hours
  of night flight.  This means that most switches regularly
  see less than 200 cycles per year (landing lights a dozen
  or so).  Most switches die of old age than from any
  degree of electrical stress or utilization.  The
  war machine/air transport requirements are worlds apart
  from sport-lightplane requirements. None-the-less, the
  word "aircraft" conjures up images of those same machines
  and their requirements when you go out to buy parts.
  There's nothing 'wrong' with buying the best you can
  afford . . . by all means, buy a Lexus if you really
  want one and can afford it.

  I counsel my builders that there's no reason to consider
  a Chevrolet budget airplane to be less safe because
  the switches or any other parts were purchased out
  of the Allied Electronics catalog . . . design so that
  you don't DEPEND on any single item for comfortable
  completion of flight.

      Regards,

    Bob . . .
    AeroElectric Connection