Switch Ratings

Subject: Switch Ratings
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <RNuckolls@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 22:43:37
FROM:   Tony Krzyzewski    tonykaon.co.nz

 /RS is the UK Radio Spares Components. A very large
 /(and expensive) catalogue  supplier. I will order one
 /of the switches (they have an NZ branch) and do a  bit
 /of exploring and let you know.

   Looking forward to it . . .

 /I used to have that problem on DC operated computer
 /tape drives where they  switched the motor power with
 /relays. The catch was that they used current  reversal
 /to rapid stop the drive (brutal!!) and every so often
 /you would get  I relay that would flash over and weld.

   The number one "sticking relay" on the Bonanzas for many
   years was a very expensive device that controlled the
   landing gear motor. It too used a special set of
   contacts for dynamic braking of the landing gear retract
   motor.  I've got an article coming out in Kitplanes that
   does an analysis of a harrowing experience in a Lancair
   that suffered a stuck pump contactor.  Definitely NOT
   a failure tolerant design.

 /My instructor hammered into me the ability to do a
 /landing without reference  to any instruments just in
 /case it happened to me one day. The one thing I  prefer
 /to keep running is the big cooling fan up front!

  My favorite way to "bug" another pilot is to cover up
  all the gages for a few touch and goes . . . used to
  believe in the NECESSITY for all those needles too
  until I started flying a J-3 . . . it was startling how
  few gages are in that ship. Quickly figured out that
  you could do without them too if you did a bit of
  basic attitude calibration with the view-out-the-window.

  Handling an airplane is made easier with all the stuff
  on the panel working but they are certainly not NECESSARY
  if one chooses to understand  his airplane a bit more.

 /Can you give me your postal address so I can send you those
 /switches.

  Same as on the front of your book. 6936 Bainbridge Rd, Wichita,
  KS  67226-1008  USA.  I'll send you some fat fets to play
  with in trade for your switches. I'll see if I can dig up
  the photo-voltaic couplers too.  Have you checked out
  International Rectifier's website?  Try www.irf.com
  and get the latest data sheets on fat fets and the opto
  couplers.

  Bob . . .

Have a good weekend.

Tony

64 9 358 9124 Kaon Technologies  Fx 64 9 358 9127 Auckland New Zealand

Networkers visit www.kaon.co.nz Aviators visit
www.kaon.co.nz/europa/272index.html

Europa List is supported by Aviators Network UK - infovnet.co.uk