Switch ratings . . .

Subject: Switch ratings . . .
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <RNuckolls@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 22:43:46
  I am looking at a line of miniature rockers current offered in the
  Digi-Key catalog

 /I posted a msg to several others mentioning that we (in the
 /outlands of aviation) would find it most helpful to have
 /catalogs  from mfgrs simply so that when we order on-line,
 /by phone, or  whatever, we know what we're buying. That way we
 /can intelligently -  well, somewhat intelligently - talk to the
 /fellow who knows what he  is selling. I'd like to find a copy of the
 /Digi-Key catalog - along  with other electrical component suppliers.
 /Could you provide some  addresses? I have your book, so I will
 /look tonight to see if such is  in "the book."

   Digikey is in Thief River Falls, Mn. You can order catalogs
   from them on their website at . .

    www.digikey.com

   Also, check with Allied at . . .

    www.allied.avnet.com

   and Newark at . . .

    www.newark.com

   and look through the search engines. There are MANY suppliers
   of new and good surplus goodies popping up on-line every day
   the the three folk above get the bulk of my business.

   NOTE!!!!! I said in the earlier post that I was LOOKING at
   some swtiches from Digikey, note further that I didn't give specifics
   and won't until I can recommend the parts.

 /When will you post your on-line catalog? I'm laying out my
 /panel now.  I have no idea concerning what switches, circuit
 /breakers, etc to use  at this point. I'm reading your book
 /page by page, so the info may be  coming up soon.

   It will start showing up in pieces in the next few weeks. Dee
   is going to take webcrafting lessions as soon as the current
   semester is over . . . right now, we both spent the most of the
   weekend getting her project ready for presentation.  However,
   the goodies we'll have to offer are not particularly unique,
   just parts that we find to be good value and that we recommend.

 //On the subject of Gold Plated Switch Contacts,if any of you
 //are giving them serious thoughts then please be aware that are
 //about to spend some Big Bucks.Good quality switches , circuit
 //breakers , fuses  . . .

   <snip>

 //It is true you can expect to pay a little more but the
 //difference in quality justifies price difference.

   I disagree.  First of all, quantify "quality"  . . . If I
   spend $25 on a MicroSwitch toggle versus $5 on a Arrow-Hart,
   is the $25 switch going to last 5 times as long?  It takes
   apples for apples comparative anaysis to "justify" a
   price difference . . .

 //In reference to Digi-Key products you can get quality parts
 //from them but you really need to be product wise to determine
 //what to buy and what not to buy.

   This is like telling your daughter, "Theres a lot of bad
   boys out there who just want to take advantage of you," and
   walking away without telling her how to tell the good guys
   from the bad guys. I can tell you, "the Digikey catalog
   contains 10,000 parts of which less than 1% are suitable for use
   on airplane electrical systems," I'd be right.  However, so brief
   a statement may lead some people to believe I meant that most
   of Digikey's stuff isn't any good . . . which isn't so . . . most
   of their stuff is used to build black boxes . . resistors, capacitors,
   etc. etc. and is simply of no interest to amateur airplane builders.

   I'd ask folk to be specific in their recommendations either pro
   or con . . . speak to the item by part number and supplier or
   manufacturer. To caution a buyer to be "product wise" is of
   no value.

 //In reference to Radio Shack switches I have personally tested
 //just about everything they have hanging on their walls. There
 //ratings are true BUT the rating is based on the switch being
 //energized and why have a switch if you have to keep it in the
 //ON position.

   Again, the topic of RS switches was going to be very specific
   as to style and application. So far, I've not seen anyone recomend
   any particular part or any application but we're looking at them
   and will post objective findings here.  I wrote in an earlier post
   that there are hundreds of ways that a switch can be rated and
   without being privy to specific data, we simply don't know the
   details.

   So, we look for parts that will perform for some period of time
   and not present a hazard to flight when they fail. Good systems
   design and pilot education yields failure tolerant flight systems.

  //On the subject of Circuit Breakers as opposed to Fuses, I go
  //with the Major manufacturers and opt for circuit breakers.

   Just because it's flying around in a few hundred thousand
   certified ships doesn't make it the most reliable nor the
   best value, it just makes it "certified".  I work inside that
   arena and I can tell you that many engineers are frustrated
   with the way that certification carves designs into stone.
   Independence, Kansas, the Jurassic Park of aviation, Cessna
   is cloning dinosaurs.

  //It is a lot easier to spot a tripped breaker than a fuse
  //behind a cap or buried somewhere in  the wiring harness.

   Why would you look for a tripped breaker? Could it be because you
   flipped a switch and nothing happend?  Hmmmm . . . suppose the
   breaker wasn't tripped? That means the thing broke without
   drawing too much current.  Suppose the breaker did trip. That
   means it broke and DID draw too much current. What was your
   first clue that something was broke? How does the observation
   that the breaker was tripped/not-tripped help you in your
   evaluation?

  //BTW in Re: a previous posting about Rick Nelson's DC3 catching
  //fire because of repeated resets of a breaker most Engineers
  //and Technicians agree that you should reset a breaker or
  //replace a fuse ONCE,if it blows again you should know you have
  //a problem.Another not so well known fact is the fuse or breaker
  //is there to protect the wiring and not the equipment it is wired to.

   Most airlines don't allow any breaker resetting in the cockpit.
   So . . . I'll ask again, if you could replace $900 worth of breakers
   with $35 worth of fuses and free up 30 square inches of panel
   space in the process, then you have a place to mount the EXTRA
   radio that you can now more likely afford because you didn't spend
   it on components that in all probability will never have to act
   and when they do, tell you nothing of value.

 //On the subject of switches rated at 110 volts AC versus 12 volts
 //without getting into the entricies of OHMS Law just take a look
 //at a High Voltage transmission line that carries say 28000 volts.
 //For simplicity say it is a half inch in diameter. How big would
 //it be if the voltage were 110 volts and serving the same number of users?

   ????? I'm mystified as to the significance of this analogy . . .

  When you own a Bonanza or a Kingair you're obligated to pay
  going shop rates for installation of parts issued via certified
  distribution. It may well be worth $25 to extend the life of a
  switch by only two times if the labor to replace it is $100! When
  I worked at Electro-Mech about 15 years ago, we did our first
  brushless d.c. fan design and offered it to the Citation engineering
  manager. It was well received even though it cost over 3 times as
  much as the brush-type blower we were currently building.

  The reason was that this blower (750 hour service life) got turned
  on to keep factory workers in a breeze as soon as the electrical
  system was powered up.  The blowers left the factory with hundreds
  of hours of service on them.  Further, the labor to replace the
  $280 blower was about $750 . . . it was under a bunch of floorboards
  and plumbing.  So, to get 6 times the life for three times the cost
  was a good trade. COST OF OWNERSHIP is the real quality driver here
  folks. When you can replace any switch in your airplane in 5 minutes
  with ordinary hand tools, buying $25 dollar switches is more of
  a fasion statment than a safety of flight issue. Buy more hand-helds
  for back-up and NO gold plated switches . . . you'd be amazed how many
  ways a radio can fail and never pop a breaker . . .

    Regards,

    Bob . . .
    AeroElectric Connection
                   ////