Thermocouples: alternate power?

Subject: Thermocouples: alternate power?
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <RNuckolls@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 23:47:00
 /I was just wondering about using themocouples for an
 /alternate power supply?

  A very perceptive question!!! And . . . believe it
  or not, it's not really to far out of reach . .
  at least in principal.

 /AFAIK they are used on missiles and bomb { as in H,
 /as in  serious big bangs } fuses.

  Actually, the device you're refering to is a "thermal
  battery" which is still a chemical battery like the
  ones you use in your flashlight. In this case, the electrolyte
  doesn't work until it's heated to a molten state at about
  700 degrees F or hotter.  We did a design review to consider
  a thermal battery in our latest upgrade to the AQM-37D,
  high altitude, Mach 4 target.  These batteries are attractive
  for weapons systems because of their ability to deliver
  a lot of watts for a short period of time (generally limited
  to 10-20 minutes).  They store very well (shelf life on the
  order of 10-50 years) and come to life in about 100-300
  milliseconds after the thermite is touched off inside by
  an electrical squib from outside.  We decided not to use
  it this time due to some changes in our lauch protocols that
  would have risked reduced reliability in other areas of
  the target's performance. But back to your original premise . . .

  Thermocouples are capable of delivering useful amounts of
  energy. One of the most common examples are the early
  electric gas valves for furnaces that took advantage
  of a remote thermostat. A thermocouple on the pilot
  light was connected in series with a thermostat
  in the house and a coil in the gas valve. The output
  voltage of these thermocouples was only 150-200 MILLIVOLTS
  so the valve coil was a special design. The CURRENT
  available was considerable so there was a useful amount
  of energy but a common mistake of installers or
  repair-persons unfamiliar with the technology was to
  wire with ordinary 22AWG thermostat wire and throw away
  too many millivolts in the conductors. I discovered this in
  my first exposure to such a system in a house I was
  renting about 25 years ago.  The house had been remodeled
  in the summer; the thermostat moved and rewired. In the fall,
  the system wouldn't work and it was very late one Saturday
  night when my wife and kids were complaining about how
  cold it was. Managed to get it up and running with a quick
  rewiring job of 18AWG.

  During WWII, a radio receiver was available in Europe