Re: Thermocouples: alternate power?

Subject: Re: Thermocouples: alternate power?
From: Peter S. Lert <peterlert@montrose.net>
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 07:21:23
Hi, Bob, and keep up the good work--

        While working as a demo pilot for the Romanian air force a few years
ago (but that's a whole 'nother story), I saw quite a few of the
"thermopiles" still in operation in rural areas.

        The kero lamp in question is a Welsbach mantel type, virtually
identical to the British/American "Aladdin" still in wide use over here.

        The thermopile was a special chimney assembly that had a glass lower
section for light, then a vertical metal pipe with the thermocouples
built into the wall.  A series of vertical fins on the outside
dissipated the heat.  A lampshade was fastened to the outside of the
fins and, I assume, also improved upward convective airflow over them.

        The crowning touch in many homes was a teakettle sitting on top of the
whole thing!

                        best regards, psl

BTW, the thing put out enough juice to light vacuum tubes!