Rudder-Fin Connection

Subject: Rudder-Fin Connection
From: Tim Ward <ward.t@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 19:46:56
I have just started the rudder.
After reading Chapter 28 in the manual and relevant email, hints etc
regarding the joining of the rudder to the fin I decided to visit a
fellow builder who has almost completed his "beast" to see how he feared.
There are three problems that do or could exist.
 One is the sanding of the rudder tip to provide clearance for the rudder
under the Fin's shroud.
 Two is the reported undersized rudder.
Three is the necessity to "vee" shape foam in the Fin closeout deeper to
allow 30 degrees of port  travel.
In light of the above and the builders comments I feel it would be
prudent to complete the rudder after the Fin attachment is completed to
the fuselage.This will give one the ability to extend rudder if
undersize, shape foam to the required shape at the rudder tip, and cut
"vees" in Fin as required or make slight readjustments to the leading
edge of the rudder if necessary. To do the last two one would complete
the first layup, position the hinges with cleos to the fin and mark
required areas to re-shape.
Now comments please!!!Does this make sense??
Tim
--
Timothy. P. Ward
26 Tomes Road