Fin- Hints

Subject: Fin- Hints
From: Tim Ward <ward.t@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 19:28:54
1.I mounted the fin jig for the first layup on a piece of MDF (medium Density
Fibre)

board shaped to that of the jig (with the cut away leading edge piece).I used
double

sided adhesive tape to secure the jig to the board as well as the fin to the
jig.
I then
mounted that on my router table to enable full working access around the fin.
Worked

well.
2.With a felt pen I drew lines on the foam and cloth(Underside) to indicate
cloth

direction. Then, being single handed, I wrapped the cloth around a 40mm PVC pipe
and
with a practice run marked with a felt pen the position and direction the cloth
should
start off.I then practiced laying it on a couple of times. As you unroll the
cloth
you
can easily line up the lines on the cloth with that on the foam to obtain
correct

orientation.
3.Squeegeeing around the leading edge in the direction of the cloth was easily
achieved
with the more flexible squeegees from your local rubber store.
4. Applied Peel ply by lightly brushing epoxy over the peel ply on a sheet of
plastic(thanks whoever reccommended it) and the positioning it in the required
place
finally stippling with the brush.
Otherwise good fun. Setting yourself up well beforehand is the key. The layup
took
the
11/2 hours quoted in the manual.
Venture on tomorrow.