Re: Mods n' things

Subject: Re: Mods n' things
From: Miles McCallum <milesm@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 17:08:21
>At the recent National Commitee meeting it was anounced that after  careful
>consideration   the Executive commmittee had decided to withdraw the #15
> charge  for  the  consideration and approval of mods to PFA  aircraft.  This
>is clearly good news for all UK builders   and I think most of them will
>apprieciate the change.
>
>Given that  the EC has decided to bear the cost of this considerable
>increasing work load could I ask you to  minimise the job by making your
>submissions for mods as clear  as possible . Photos  drawings and written
>explanation can all form part of your application and the clearer they are
>the faster you are likely to get them approved.
>I believe that we have a brilliant team down at Shoreham<snip>

I quite agree -in fact we have probably got better than we deserve!

Perhaps this is a good point for Europa builders to publish (perhaps via the
club?) details of thier mods so that other builders can submit identical
proposals to ease the way -or perhaps "the same as, with the following
variation...." -it would reduce a great deal of reinventing the wheel.

For those unaware of recent events, we are also now suddenly chairwomanless
- When the new incumbent is elected, this might be an appropriate moment to
make our views on various subjects known; such as a higher profile with the
CAA for self medicals and so on.

On the subject of the Flyer Europa's biggest major mod (!) -the BRS
installation- I went up to the factory for a design review with Ivan, and we
are now fairly close to the final format of the installation: other than
working out some details during the actual installation, the only major
thing that needs to worked out is the actual form of the attach fittings,
for which we need the services of a stress engineer.

The good news is that we are going to use standard fuselage moldings, and
modify them "in situ": this effectively means that it will be possible to
retrofit the BRS to existing airframes, although I can promise it will be a
good winter's project.... When it has been sorted (and approved) we will
make details, drawings, and some parts available: Later in the year I'll be
making molds for some of the parts.

Miles