Re: landing it :

Subject: Re: landing it :
From: Graham Singleton <100421.2123@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 20:04:53
/

>> On takeoff, the U2 ejects its takeoff outriggers to be retrieved by the
ground crew. Haven't seen one land yet - should be interesting.<<

I once saw a glider do a wheel up on a runway. It ground a flat on the bottom
and for once stayed upright at the end of the landing run. Ho hum. There were
those who couldn't help laughing.

Landing GK WHip is becoming more routine. That means I have more spare brain
power to watch what's going on. I have started to use Martin Stoner's technique.
65 kts throttle closed for the last 100 feet, instead of 60kts with a little
power. He's right, there is less to think about. Today I noticed that I touched
down with some rearward movement of the stick remaining. This means if I had hit
a bump I would probably have bounced.

I've never noticed it before, but I see now that under stress one's periferal
vision becomes  almost blanked out. This was brought to my attention by an
article in the EAA Tech Councillor newsletter and coincidentally confirmed by a
Channel 4 Equinox programme about survival in disasters. Many survivors describe
the impression of looking down a telescope.

Graham