Fuel Tank Inspections

Subject: Fuel Tank Inspections
From: Carl Reynaud <CarlReynaud@ccmail.eo.ray.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 16:06:01
     I recently showed my Europa Kit to an interested party who currently
     operates a motorglider.  He expressed an opinion regarding the lack of
     access to the fuel tank.  Part of the MG annual is to remove the
     access hatch and remove the year's accumulated "gunge" which he
     assured me was always a suprising amount.  Despite Ivan's
     protestations regarding the quality of modern fuel, lack of water,
     changeable filter etc, it would seem to be another area where access
     would seem to be sensible.

     Can anyone with actual aircraft operating experience comment on this
     either way please?  Actually cutting a hole in the tank to fit a
     sealed access hatch is a bridge I'll cross when I've made a decision.
     At this stage I'd just like some accumulated experience to help make
     the decision either way.

     Cheers

     Carl #159

     Always available to anyone passing Portsmouth who wants to drop in for
     beer and talk aeroplanes!