Re: Fuel Tank Inspections

Subject: Re: Fuel Tank Inspections
From: Richard Meredith-Hardy <rmh@flymicro.winuk.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 19:38:22

>     I recently showed my Europa Kit to an interested party who currently
>     operates a motorglider.  He expressed an opinion regarding the lack of
>     access to the fuel tank.  Part of the MG annual is to remove the
>     access hatch and remove the year's accumulated "gunge" which he
>     assured me was always a suprising amount.  Despite Ivan's
>     protestations regarding the quality of modern fuel, lack of water,
>     changeable filter etc, it would seem to be another area where access
>     would seem to be sensible.
>
>     Can anyone with actual aircraft operating experience comment on this
>     either way please?  Actually cutting a hole in the tank to fit a
>     sealed access hatch is a bridge I'll cross when I've made a decision.
>     At this stage I'd just like some accumulated experience to help make
>     the decision either way.
>
>     Cheers
>
>     Carl #159

Ho Ho!  remember my postings DANGER CR** fuel system?

As microlighters we KNOW you get stuff in fuel tanks, and its not
because of the driver.  We have a tank inspection hole mod which
(I think - my partner is handling it) is now PFA approved, we've
certainly done all the pressure tests Etc.   It involves an
inspection hatch between the headrests and an aluminium plate as
inspection cover in the tank itself.  We have used a sort of slightly
foamy PTFE tape as the seal which seems to stay sealed while immersed
in different types of petrol indefinitely.

The cover has also served as a decent site to fit a capacitance
gauge and a (modified) aircraft spruce mechanical one so we have
done away with the sight gauge altogether.

I will post the mod to the FTP eventually - I haven't got the
drgs & Dave is a heathen luddite when it comes to computer comms.

Regards
Richard Meredith-Hardy         TEL + 44 (0)1462 834776
rmh@flymicro.win-uk.net        FAX + 44 (0)1462 732668
CIS: 100071,2422

BMAA Foot Launched Microlight (FLM) office.
Check out the British Microlight Aircraft Association at
http://www.avnet.co.uk/bmaa/bmaa.htm